Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Examining Generational Differences

When examining generational differences through the class readings I found the concepts especially interesting in how they related so well to my own particular ideas on the digital divide. I see the work by Marc Prensky "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants - Part II"  to serve a a valid emerging theory to understand the 21st Century Learner.  I think that while his theory has some convincing points, his theory is lacking in evidence that supports his claims. After reading "Digital Nativism Digital Delusions and Digital Deprivation" by Jamie McKenzie, I see there are several aspects to Prensky's theory which are heavily opinion based.  However, I also found the writings of McKenzie to be as equally biased in his own favor. Neither of the two writing seem to be written at a scholarly level in my opinion.  I felt there was a level of animosity between the two that I became distracted by instead of focusing on the arguments of either side. 

Although I am instructed not to 'buy in' to this silly 'notion' of generational differences effecting how the learners learn and how educators design instruction, I cannot help but uphold my own opinion. Of course I believe the context and environment in which a child grows up will effect the way they view, interact, and learn from this world.  Yes, I feel that whether the input of a child's experiences is technology, human interaction, or any other environmental factor, it is going to effect the way the child learns and grows to understand the world around them. I do not however, 'buy in' to every word of either author Prensky or McKenzie.

We are all products of our environment, and without getting into extensive debates over the Nature v.s. Nurture theories, the input of stimulus to our senses are what program our existence from birth. This concept is valid through several studies which have been conducted on touch sensory deprivation of infants and how that effects a child's ability to soothe. This concept of a child's interactions effecting how they learn has been proven through studies on muscle memory and the necessity of manual manipulation of materials for the full development of our individual brains. I do not agree with Prensky's notion of "fun v.s. boring" learning, however I will conclude that the environment a child (or entire generation) grows up in, whether influenced by heavy use of technology, or other environmental factors will change they way they learn. 

In response to the question: How would you handle a colleague who bought into the notion of digital natives?

I would not expect my colleague to have the same opinion as me. I would share my thoughts on the topic, and suggest that my colleague read the articles for themselves, and develop the their own ideas on the notion of Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants.

7 comments:

  1. Christina,
    You are absolutely right by saying a child's environment influences the way they learn and conceptualize. I think we can also say this for educators as well. The more experience and use one has with technology, the more apt they will be for using it an educational sense (both teacher and student).
    -Casey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, I love your point that the environment influences the EDUCATOR as well. I know I haven't stopped learning and I adapt my teaching to my students everyday. I am far more willing to integrate technology now that I have had more experience myself, which adds experiential validity to your point as well :)

      Delete
  2. Christina, "generational differences effecting how the learners learn and how educators design instruction" is a valid theory. The Reeves piece describes the theory of generational differences and how each generation is influenced by the cultural, social, and technological events that occur during that generation's formative period. However, what Prensky would have you believe is that every bit of pedagogy that you were taught by old, stodgy fogies like myself is of no value with this generation of technologically pervasive learners and that you should abandon everything you were taught in your teacher education program for technology-infused learning methods like gaming and mobile learning and online learning because it is ONLY through technology that today's students - all of them (including the ones that have not had access to technology because of socio-economic status or the real issues of the digital divide) - can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it remains interesting to look at generational differences in people who have grown up using technology and those who have not. It peeks my curiosity to consider global differences in the digital divide. How do people growing up in other cultures compare to the U.S. considering the use of technology by older and younger people and in an educational setting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, you bring up an interesting point. I also feel that a child's environment influences the way they learn. I don't agree with Prensky's view to the fullest extent. I still believe "old" teachers have valid experiences that can influences their students for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that environment plays a large role in how people learn. This makes more practical sense to me than the generational difference theory does. What you are immersed in certainly influences your decisions how you look at things. This is one of the reasons Prensky's view is flawed. Not ALL of today's children are immersed in technology and "digital immigrants" could be!

    What remains true, is that teachers need to teach the LEARNER and that requires a wide variety of strategies that is right for the situation, the objective and the person.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the environment affects the outcome. A student who has no access to technology will be different from a student who is constantly engaged in technology. There will be positives and negatives from both. With this view in mind, do you believe that we are heading in the right direction in terms of technology use? Should we accept an increase in technology use and availability as a change in the student, thus changing our instructional practices, or should we continue to teach in the manner that we have been teaching while giving some regard to the changes in technology use and availability?

    ReplyDelete